Aug 28, 2019
How do you actually APPLY what Maslow tells us, that helps us rise towards the top of the pyramid and live more satisfied lives?
GBD73 What REALLY Motivates Today’s Professionals and Tomorrow’s Leaders? Our guest has been researching leadership and motivation for the last twenty years and has turned this into several books. This research also powers the presentations she gives to business leaders, finance and accounting professionals at conferences across the world. While interviewing world-class performers from business, science, the arts and sport, she identified five new intrinsic motivation types that reveal how ordinary people tap into their deepest internal motivations and achieve extraordinary things. She tells AICPA & CIMA's Kyle Hannan about why existing - and future - leaders do what they do, and the ideas and tools we can all use to reach our full potential in a changing business environment.
How did you discover our podcast, where do you listen, and what would you like to hear more of? Finance pro or not, we'd love to know what you think. Email us here.
* useful new understandings of what really drives people.
* the importance of “Origin” stories.
* how to create “moments” (the little steps that build a career ladder).
* ways to make these moments ‘land’ so that they make a difference in our business and our careers.
* Our guest mentions 'Drive' by Daniel Pink and The Heath Brothers' "The Power of Moments"
A motivation expert, best selling author and champion dressage rider with a strong business background, Sophie Bennet is a visiting lecturer at Cranfield School of Management, a Grand Prix dressage rider, former national equestrian champion, ski instructor, bestselling author, and a former Head of Content for Dell. Her eclectic background guarantees talks rich in anecdotes and stories. Connect with Sophie on LinkedIn here.
FURTHER RESOURCES ON MOTIVATION AND HUMAN INTELLIGENCE.
* "Human Intelligence". A three-part self-study online series will help you develop the skills that make you uniquely human and position you to take advantage of the new opportunities that await. It's now available for purchase from the AICPA Store website.
* An online video session "Women in The Profession: Motivate, Retain and Succeed". How to motivate, retain and train women in the accounting and finance professions for success. This is available to purchase from the CGMA Store website.
* See Sophie's "Five Flames of Motivation" graphic.
MORE ABOUT OUR PODCAST.
The Voices. These conversations with expert guests are recorded by different members of the AICPA & CIMA team from our offices around the world. While the sound quality may vary, the insights will always be consistently useful.
Hear more. Get our shows every week automatically and free. Share them easily with colleagues and friends by using the icons on your app or media player.
Share: Know someone who'd enjoy this topic? Click on these links to share this episode with colleagues and friends.
* Recommend it to your LinkedIn network.
* Send to Twitter
* Auto-share on your Facebook page
* Let someone know via email.
©2019 Association of International Certified Professional Accountants (AICPA & CIMA)